A BRIEF HISTORY OF BLANCHARD, OKLAHOMA
On September 19, 1906 the Canadian Valley Construction Company sold lots of land in Blanchard. Nine days later Mr. R.E.L. McClain completed the first building and opened a grocery store. On December 19, 1906 the first post office department recognized Blanchard as a town. Mr. McClain was appointed postmaster and the post office was in his store.
The Santa Fe Railroad assumed control of a prior attempted railroad construction project in 1907. This railroad was the reason for Blanchard's initial development. In June of 1907, there were multiple grocery stores, a meat market, a couple hotels, pool hall, hardware store, multiple drug stores, a wagon yard, multiple blacksmiths, a machinist, multiple feed stores, a newspaper and publisher, lumber company and a couple cold drink stores in Blanchard.
The second lot sale was held in July of 1907 and a third in March of 1908. It was reported that four to five thousand people packed three trains from Chickasha, Purcell, and Ada to attend this third sale.